Director’s Corner October 6, 2015
In the last version of this column I closed by saying, “the staff is working on a multitude of new services and programs.” If you read the last newsletter (which can be found at http://www.mattesonpubliclibrary.org/library-newsletters/) you found seven full pages with lists of new services and upcoming classes.
After serving over 1,100 participants in our Summer Reading Program, the programming staff have faced the new school year with a full slate of classes. Lots of variety and new options have been included for individuals of all ages.
Also added this year is a host of new services for the public. Items on the reserve or hold shelf are now in the open rather than behind a staff desk. Patrons have the option of helping themselves or asking a staff member to get the item for them.
When checking out Matteson library items, patrons have the choice of using one of the new self-check kiosks or asking a staff member to check the items out for them.
We now have:
• an automated book return that dispenses receipts
• the ability to convert your personal VHS tapes to DVDs
• two types of phone apps – BookMyne for catalog access or Boopsie for catalog and web access
• Lynda.com – a database of professional development and technology skills videos
• Freegal – allows you to download or stream music at home
• Brainfuse – replacing tutor.com. This is a one-on-one online tutoring service for homework assistance
• Passport registration – renewal forms are available in the office but for new applications, contact the office for assistance
• Authors On Demand – Adult Services staff will arrange to automatically place a hold for a Matteson library cardholder on a print edition of their favorite author’s newest titles.
Please take notice of the new name for our newsletter; or, should I say notice the newsletter actually has a name now.
Along with our new physical appearance, we are also changing our governmental designation. As of January 1, 2016 we will no longer be a Village Library; but, will become a District Library. And along with that comes a new name. As of January 1st we will officially be known as the Matteson Area Public Library District.
Don’t miss any of these exciting new changes taking place on behalf of the Matteson residents.
If you haven’t already done so, be sure to register your email with the front desk so that you can receive weekly updates on new services and programs.
See you at the library. – Kathy Berggren, Library Director